Afton Motorsports Park Special Events
Short Track SuperNationals "Working Man's Race" To Celebrate 10th Anniversary October 6-7 At Afton Motorsports Park, Joins Forces With American Racer Cup Weekend
AFTON, NY - In 2006, the inaugural "Working Man's Race" took place at the Afton Fairgrounds. The event, run by then first-time promoter Brett Deyo, drew a field of 50-plus Modifieds and the Short Track SuperNationals was born. Now, looking ahead to the weekend of October 6-7, the event will celebrate its 10th anniversary at the very same facility that hosted the first.
Afton Motorsports Park, under the management of Ron Ford and Leon Andrus, will be home to the 10th Short Track SuperNationals on Columbus Day weekend.
Adding to the excitement of the 2017 edition is the combination of the SuperNationals with the American Racer Cup Weekend, meaning further incentives for racers and unique dash events for the Modifieds, Sportsman, and, for the first time, Street Stocks. The event, for '17, is known as the American Racer Cup Short Track SuperNationals 10.
The SuperNationals "Working Man's Race" Modified event remains the headline of the weekend and will take place on Saturday (October 7). The 50-lap big-block/small-block Modified event offers a healthy $5,000 to win and $400 just to take the green flag.
In nine editions of this event, there have been no repeat Modified winners.
Victors over nine races include Ryan Godown (2016); Danny Creeden (2015); Shaun Walker (2014); Craig Hanson (2013); Danny Tyler (2012); Duane Howard (2011); Justin Holland (2010); Kevin Hirthler (2009); and Mike Ricci (2006).
Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series Fueled By VP Halmar International North Region point standings will be up for grabs, with just two events remaining (including Afton) until the $12,500 champion is crowned.
Additionally, the Modified American Racer Cup Dash will take place on Saturday. The Dash pays $2,000 to the winner and each participant receives a certificate for a FREE American Racer Tire. The dash is open to all American Racer Cup champions; if a champion is unable to attend, the next-highest driver in the standings will take part in the event.
Also on the Saturday program are the Street Stocks, IMCA-Modifieds and Northeastern Vintage Dirt Modified Racing Club. Like their Modified counterparts, the Street Stocks will participate in a dash open to all champions at tracks utilizing American Racer tires. The dash will offer $500 to the winner and each participant will receive a certificate for a FREE American Racer tire. Friday's (Oct. 6) program is headlined by the STSS Open vs. Crate 602 Sportsman in a 30-lap, $1,500 to win (*with Gambler's Fee posted) main event.
Sportsman will have their American Racer Cup Dash on Friday, offering $1,000 to the winner and a certificate for a FREE American Racer tire. The dash is open to all American Racer Cup champions; if a champion is unable to attend, the next-highest driver in the standings will take part in the event.
Also competing on Friday are the CRSA Sprint Cars, FWD Four Cylinders and Modified practice for Saturday.
Complete American Racer Cup Short Track SuperNationals race weekend information will be released in the coming days.
Afton Motorsports Park is located conveniently off I-88 Exit 7 (Afton), approximately 25 miles north and east of Binghamton, at 46 East Main Street Afton, N.Y. 13730. There is plentiful space for parking and camping. To learn more about Afton Motorsports Park, visit www.aftonmotorsportspark.com.
To learn more about the Short Track Super Series or BD Motorsports Media LLC, visit www.shortttracksuperseries.com or www.bdmortorsmedia.com, call 845.728.2781 or e-mail email@example.com. "Like" Short Track Super Series on Facebook or follow @ShortTrackSS on Twitter.
The 2017 Short Track Super Series is presented by American Racer/Lias Tire, VP Racing Fuel, Bob Hilbert Sportswear, Halmar International, Allstar Performance, ATL Racing Fuel Cells, Behrent's Performance Warehouse, Bicknell Racing Products, Dirt Track Digest, Fast Axle, Fox Racing Shocks, Hig Fab, Henry's Exhaust, HyperCo, Keizer Wheels, Kirkey Racing Fabrication, K&N, QA1, Race Pro Weekly, Racing Optics, Speed51.com, Teo-Pro Car, Velocita, Weld & Wilwood.
Bob Hilbert Sportswear Short Track Super Series Fueled By VP 2017 Schedule
Halmar International North Region
- Sunday, April 9 — Orange County Fair Speedway/Middletown, N.Y. 'Hard Clay Open' — Winner: Andy Bachetti
- Sunday, May 28 — Thunder Mountain Speedway/Center Lisle, N.Y. - 'Lightning on the Mountain' — Winner: Anthony Perrego
- Wednesday, June 21 — Afton Motorsports Park/Afton, N.Y. - 'Afton Action 50' — Winner: Stewart Friesen
- Monday, July 3 — Accord Speedway/Accord, N.Y. - 'Battle of the Bullring 5' — Winner: Anthony Perrego
- Sunday, July 16 — Big Diamond Speedway/Minersville, Pa. - 'Anthracite Assault' — Winner: Ryan Godown
- Tuesday, August 15 — Albany-Saratoga Speedway/Malta, N.Y. - Recovery Sports Grill Stampede 'toga — Winner: Matt Sheppard
- Wednesday, August 23 — Woodhull Raceway/Woodhull, N.Y. - 'Hustlin' the High Banks 53' — Winner: Andy Bachetti
- Saturday, October 7 — Afton Motorsports Park/Afton, N.Y. - American Racer Cup Short Track SuperNationals 10 — Afton Motorsports Park/Afton, N.Y. (Rain Date: October 8)
- Thursday, October 19 — Orange County Fair Speedway/Middletown, N.Y. - Behrent's Performance Warehouse 'Hard Clay Finale' at Eastern States Weekend (Rain Date: October 20) — Championship Points